Sharing my deal-finding adventures in the land of no CVS

Monday, June 9, 2008

I Actually Eat Pretty Healthy


I'm sure that many of you think that I live off of Honey Bunches of Oats and Chex Mix, but I want to make sure that you are aware that I actually eat quite a few fruits and veggies. We have an organic veggie delivery service that drops off yummy fruits and veggies biweekly. It is true that most coupons are for snack food and cereal, but there are ways to use lots of coupons and still feed your family well. I believe in saving money where you can - using coupons, playing the drugstore game, getting free-bates, etc., but there are a few things that are important to me:


  • Organic milk - especially as a woman with a young daughter, I think that buying dairy products from cows treated with large doses of antibiotics and hormones is a bad idea. So, we spend some of our money that we save to buy organic milk. Although, we drink a whole lot of soymilk instead of milk.

  • Organic fruits and vegetables - I make a lot of the baby food that my daughter eats and so it is very important to me that I use organic whenever possible. We love our delivery service - Terra Organics. We pay $25 every other week for a ton of fruits and veggies. Chances are there is a local farm that offers a farm share or a delivery service in your area. Try the CSA site for more info.

  • Organic/natural meat - Our local meat shop, which only sells natural beef (no hormones), has packages available for a discount. Many of the items in the packages they sell did not interest me, so I asked if I could make my own package with the things that we wanted. Yep! So I am supporting a local business and stocking my freezer with good meat for a very good deal.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What meat shop do you use?

Sienna said...

Butcher Boys on Meridian in South Hill.

OnlyOnSale said...

Great post! I know a lot of people think if you coupon you only eat junk food! MYTH!

Our Creative Day said...

Wow -- I am from Puyallup and I wounldn't have thought to try Buter Boys - are they reasonable?

Thanks! :)

Sienna said...

Liberty-
They are alot cheaper than buying natural beef at the supermarket. You can definitely find non-natural meat cheaper on sale, but it won't be hormone/antibiotic free. I bought roasts for the crockpot, ground beef and NY steaks as my "package". Ask them to put the seasoning on the steaks - so yummy!

Our Creative Day said...

Thanks for the tip!!! :)